Thursday 3 November 2016

Speech and Language Progress..

I've been having speech and language for about 3/4 months,
When I first suffered my stroke I had something called;
Dysphasia.

Basically I would struggle to understand emotions and mislead what people say to me:

  • If someone nudged me in the street, i'd swear at them or get really aggressive (even though it was probably my fault) 
  • If someone text me without an 'x' I would assume they were angry with me.
  • If someone told me joke I wouldn't understand but i'd laugh so much that i'd look strange and rude ( i'd watch other people laugh and laugh because they were) 
  • I struggle to understand sarcasm, humour and emotion.


My speech and language therapist reads statements to me ( mini stories, small paragraphs) 
Then she asks me questions, to see if I was concentrating and remember the \important' details.

This is because I can't 'read between the lines' I miss out details from; stories, lectures and essays.. 
My concentration is really bad and I 'wander off'. 
This is where my learning support assistant helps ( she writes notes for me during lectures and bullet-points the important bit so it's easier for me to understand.


The filter in my brain is coming back, meaning i'm slowly gaining;

  • my memory
  • cognitive skills
  • my language
  • my emotions 
  • and i'm more socially aware of how to speak in a conversation.

My recovery is continuing and i'm improving..

slow and steady wins the race..




No comments:

Post a Comment