Tuesday 7 August 2018

Things 'professionals' don't prepare you for..

I put ' around professionals because so many doubted my recovery & judged me on how I was in hospital.

Leaving hospital is the worst part -
You've had visitors and help but when you set foot in your front door you brake.
You're back in the real world.

People dont stay -
I clung onto my stroke
'Stroke survivor'
Changing my instagram to inform everyone I was brave, because thats all I was told in hospital.

People dont stay-
Friends or relationships dont care they just miss the old you.

You need confidence -
I needed confidence for small things like getting in my shower or waking up & being tired and self concious.

Railings make you scared -
*Oh my god why is there railings everywhere!* "Mum they dont match your house, they're too new" when do I try not to use them?

Your brain injury affects everything -
Saying stuff you're thinking is uncontrollable and people around you wont understand.

Your memory is affected -
Lists of what I need or plan to do has filled my shelves, 'dont need that anymore but its a memory'

People belittle you -
Im sitting in a disabled seat because I'm disabled, but I shouldnt need to explain why for their sympathy.

No one recovers 100% -
*When will I be able to do that again?*
Everyones recovery is so different. I spent months googling 'stroke recovery' so I could compare myself to others, this made me feel worse than seeing girls in heels & my old friends enjoying themselves.

Your family is affected more than you -
They've seen you change and need to accept how dramatic it is, accepting you cant do certain things.

My beautiful brain
Telling the truth.






No comments:

Post a Comment