Monday 6 June 2016

Not every disability is visible

I have many scars on my brain,
The scars on my leg show progress of my muscle growing,
The  dents on my skull show failure in my brain but strength to survive a minute of a breakdown within my skull

My disability isn't completely visible and never will be

"Oh my god, I genuinely can't and couldn't tell you've had a stroke"

" you can't even notice your splint"

" you can't tell that you can't use your arm"

" your face is symmetrical"

* walk straight Lizzie, bend your knee when walking up curbs but not down, you'll fall*
*yawn*
* Lizzie come on beat the fatigue, you've been through much worse*

I've been living with a serious brain injury for over two years now as you all know...

It's not visible, but it's serious;

When you joke, I don't get it..
When you're sarcastic towards me, I can't distinguish the emotion..
When you're winding me up, I get aggressive and assume you're angry with me...
When you stare at me, I assume you hate me or think I look weird

My brain is damaged and full of disconnected cells, trying to reconnect,
Slowly progressing day by day
You can't notice the scars as they're on the inside..
My recovery is slower than others but my feelings are still there.

I'm getting better
" how far on are you in your recovery?"
* piss off, there's no percentage*
" no idea, probably 30% if they put a percentage on it.."
* hopefully that's a good enough number..*

You can still talk to me, I'm human and I'm happy
I'm just living with something that makes me different to everyone else (you)

No comments:

Post a Comment