Thursday 3 July 2014

doing what you have to do

Something i've never been very good at is being able to just throw myself in the 'deep end' and face my fears (to this day i'm still terrified of roller-coasters)

This weeks been a massive challenge for me, i've started getting in contact with friends again and putting myself out there.
Today especially was a huge fear of mine, I was so self concious to walk around town, because of my arm and the fact i'm a young girl walking with a stick.

I spent all night asking Luke ''if you saw me how I am now, what would you think?''
all he could say was ''someone who's learning how to walk again''

I managed to walk all through town, sit in Nando's and then walk home again.

I wasn't as impressed as I should be, I remember being in hospital and even standing up took so much energy, I could only walk 10metres and i'd need to sit down.
So clearly massive progress for me.

Its all about putting yourself out there and facing your biggest fears, I still remember a quote my mum printed for me that was pinned up on the wall next to my hospital bed:

''“Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.”

I remember being so overwhelmed by the stroke and what had happened, the first time I read that quote I just burst into tears and hugged my mum so tight. I just wanted it to all go away and this never to of happened.



I'm still learning so much about how the stroke has affected me, mentally and physically. I'll probably be doing this for the rest of my life.


thought for the day:
shit happens, people stare. but everyone is different 









1 comment:

  1. I think my arm not hanging straight and swinging makes me more self conscious that any defect in my walking. But I stare straight ahead and basically dare anyone to comment on it.

    ReplyDelete