Friday 10 October 2014

the next stage of recovery, walking against the waves

So, I thought learning to stand and taking my first steps after being paralysed  were hard. But walking against the waves in the sea were harder.

Gripping my mums hand, trying to keep my balance and getting hugely frustrated because my brain knows/knew how to do it, once apon a time...People make it look so easy, how? like how do you walk without your ankle not twisting, how do you keep your balance. Will it ever be possible again? It definatley wasn't like something out of Bay watch...

I spent the previous day laying on a sun bed watching/admiring  an older lady with what I think is multiple sclerosis(a muscle waisting disorder) ... trying to swim, and trying to be like the rest of you, 'normal'

I looked at my mum and said ''She's so brave''. When I just wanted to hug her, tell her she's amazingly strong. When trying to walk in the sea I tried to put all the shit i'd dealt with behind me, let the passing waves wash everything to the shore and the next person to walk over them, crushing them into the sand.

''You're doing it Liz! smiling at me and giving me the biggest hug. My mum just help my hand making sure I didn't fall and start aggressively swearing at her (a regular occasion when i'm angry)...
''I know I can't stop mum, I need to beat a goal!''
Because thats life now.. '' The road to recovery''
All about setting goals and beating them, first being; walking without a stick.

I'm onto the next stage of my recovery now, doing things I that months ago seemed literally impossible; going on holiday being one of them, then walking around a pool with a disability and dealing with stares that if I won money for i'd be a millionaire...


Recovery is a life long process, so when I do something I thought was once impossible I get overly excited.
I mean, when I told a lady on holiday i'd had a stroke she was so shocked, because no one would assume someone so young could have one, But yep. i'm  probably  the 1 out of 20 under 30's thats had one... ''the unlucky one'' Oh well, better to be different.
Nothing is impossible, so don't let anyone lt you think it is.


No comments:

Post a Comment