Tuesday 19 May 2015

'My nephew had a stroke'

As the young children walked into the hall  in their classes starting from reception all the way up to year 6.

The littlest kids were aged 4, the age range going up to to about 8.. 

'Good morning everybody, we have some special guests to talk about strokes and the affects because as some of you know I am doing a marathon for the stroke association'

'Good morning miss...' As they all sat up straight and looked at her explain..

'Now not all of you know, my nephew had a stroke at 13, and was really badly affected..' 
She took a deep breath and I looked to the floor as my heart sank.

We then introduced ourselves, saying what happened when we had our stroke and how old we were..

You all know 'my story' so I won't bother explaining what I said, I just made it more suitable to younger people to hear.


The teachers smiled at me but I looked at the floor almost ashamed of what it has done to my body.. 

We then showed them slide shows of what can cause a stroke and how they affect people.

'Now you shouldn't smoke or drink alcohol'
Again I looked at the floor and kinda giggled thinking 'shit I regret that vodka shot I had saturday'
But then had to look up and think..
'But I've never smoked so I'm winning at that'

We then tested the children on what the fast advert stands for letter by letter, they got them right until the T 
Which is the most important letter in the fast advert 'um does it mean talking?' 
We giggled and explained that it means time that you need to rush someone with any signs to a hospital..

By the end of the assembly they were able to answer them all right. 

The looks on their faces and ecstatic way of throwing their hands in the air, some holding in their breath to make sure their hand was higher than anyone else's, you remember the feeling of anxiety and excitement of speaking out loud in assembly at primary school, and then if you got the answer right and the teacher praised you, the happiness you'd feel inside and how chuffed you'd feel that you'd look around thinking 'hell yeah I listened now the teacher loves me' 

No comments:

Post a Comment