Thursday 17 April 2014

Your life started the day you had your stroke...

Well, not 100% recovery but slowly getting there, I'm able to move my leg (not ankle or toes) my arm, from the elbow and shoulder (not fingers). after braving town in my wheelchair, a massive fear for me (all anxiety based) I had a family meeting.  Imagine everyone you care about sitting in a room with people who have been training you to become independent (my physio,OT and a nurse) they just talked about...me, whilst I sat there, about my care for when I come home and how I'm doing in physio.   I have an hour everyday in the gym working on my core muscles and hip/knee control, and an hour working on my independence with my OT learning to paint my nails, get dressed, get washed and accept my life with one hand. I think I'm doing well.. without sounding too big headed. I have painted my nails on both hands last week, some people have said I've done a better job than they could have.. I have never worked so hard in my entire life, oh wait...my life's
oh wait.. my life's only been 3months long.

My view on life has completely changed, I will no longer take things for granted. The reason for the  name of this blog post is because; in the family meeting, obviously I asked; will I make a full recovery, will I be walking again... normal and expected questions. my physio laughed and said 'start thinking of your life as if it only started from the day of your stroke' your recovery comes from determination and positivity. well.. luckily today was such a positive day, no matter how scary town seemed and how my bank balance may look, no matter the circumstances I'm in, I need to accept myself for what the stroke has made me, in my eyes; stronger, independent, weirdly more interesting as it feels.

Luke said 'its almost like you've been given a new life" to be honest I'm very lucky, some people don't get a second chance. which is why I'm never going to take this one for granted.

2 comments: