Thursday 26 March 2015

This is what it's like to loose your vision

On Tuesday morning I went to a stroke confrence for many reasons, it made me realise how fortunate I am to still be alive and still; talk, walk, see, think, eat ...

We had to introduce ourselves at first as the tables of; volunteers, stroke survivors,  physio's,occupational therapists... 
As time went around I slowly waited for my turn feeling anxious but happy to share my story
we had to tell everyone our age name story and why we volunteer for the stroke association... 

'Hello I'm really nervous so I might say Urm a lot sorry, my names elizabeth or 'lizzie' (nervous giggle) I suffered a stroke last February when I was 20 my goal has always been to beat it and walk again, so I walked for the stroke association on Sunday raising over £1000' 

(My audience)
WOW...  


I recieved so many looks, but all good looks because I was accepted and appreciated, not because of who I am but because of how I've been so brave and determined.. 

Lunch came and we got the chance to 'talk to others' 
The nicest guy came and spoke to me asking me questions about my stroke and how I manage to be so 'happy and cheery' he'd had his stroke or hemmorage 6 years ago, he has lost his peripheral vision (all the right side of vision and a line through his left eye).. Unable to walk without walking into doors and having to turn his head to physically see what was on his right hand side... 

http://www.m.webmd.boots.com/a-to-z-guides/eye-health-low-vision

Later on we were given glasses to 'imagine' how it feels to of lost your vision in various ways a stroke survivor could of... 

I put these glasses on that demonstrate how Andrew sees the world, I wanted to cry, just because of how hard life must be; I had to turn my head to look to the right and I could only hear voices, not knowing who was there not realising how difficult everyday life must be... 

I may suffer from confusion and struggle with memory but; 
This made me appreciate how lucky I am and how I survived a stroke and didn't loose my vision, I appreciate my vision as much as my ability to walk now... 


No comments:

Post a Comment