Sunday 15 March 2015

You learn to adapt

Recently I've learnt to just adapt to everything, not that I should because I need to recover more to 'look & be normal' apparently.. 
I read somewhere that when you speak to most stroke survivors they've become so adapted to the disabilities they've been left with that it almost stops them trying to recover to how they were, they become comfortable' 
I know I'll never recover fully because no one does, unless you've only had a 'Tia- mini stroke) something that warns you that you're probably close to suffering a major stroke.. 

I've learnt how to cook with one hand, how to walk around my house with my wonky leg and ankle, how to shower with one hand & how to get dressed.. 

Nothing takes as long anymore, my confidence has risen so much within the past 6months and I'm much more confident than I ever was before my stroke. So that's another good sign..

I've learnt to just let the people staring at my hand and leg stare, to the point where I just stick my nose up and give them the dirtiest look 'evils' ..
Tends to work and I've not been beaten up, 
Yet. 

You realise what you can and can't do pretty much everyday;
Today I tried to walk up the stairs skipping a step ( never tried this) but I felt pretty confident.. 
My knee gave way & my leg went wobbly, so I stopped.. 
'No Lizzie you can't do that again'

My spasticity in my hand is so bad that my arm will still stick out as if I'm bending my arm to point at something.. 
But I'm used to that, 


I never thought any of this would feel so normal to me, Infact I'd  cry everyday thinking about how damaged my body was and how my limitations are but I feel stronger in myself and happier to just hold my head high and walk as if I'm 'normal'
'You are normal baby end of'
But I'm not am I.. Not to those people who said they'd stay in my new life or those who stare at me as if I'm green or something.. 
I've been called; a spastic, annoying, weird, an attention seeker, a cripple, a freak and so much more 
But there people who aren't worth it 

I'm living with my adaptions and I'm happy so don't put me down..

No comments:

Post a Comment