Sunday 30 July 2017

Clubbing..

I'm probably one of the only stroke survivors who's been clubbing after a stroke..

It's something I've done since I was 15..

It was Liam's sisters birthday so we celebrated by drinks and ending up at Club Chemistry (a nightclub in Canterbury)..

I remember it was the first club I ever visited and back then it had a completely different name
 *god I feel old*..
'The Bizz'
It's huge! Three floors each of which play different music..

I get so anxious as there are a lot of stairs, but it's fine because people get the gist when they notice I'm slow..

When I go out I can stand for longer periods than before, my leg aches but that's normal.
I dance to the point where I currently feel like I've done about 1000 sit ups and squats, girls it's like when you wear heels and get an aching foot..

I'm always having an anxious chat with Liam before we enter any club "Liam will you stay with me?"
Of course he does, we stick together even though he probably gets bored..

As we decided to leave the club (because we're to old for it now..) I ventured down the three flights of stairs..
People rushing to get outside to smoke and girls hanging around on the stairs chatting, it gets crowded!
Then me.. holding the right side of a silver metal sticky hand rail covered in alcohol..

*ew ew ew wash your hands*

Anytime I walk downstairs I cause what I call a "traffic jam"
I joke about it.. Liam waited on the bottom platform of the steps..
Smiling because I was holding my head higher than I used too..
Two guys were so close to me which I hate (I get paranoid when people are to close)
"Go infront of me, I've broken my leg and I'm really slow"..
Yes I lied, but lets be honest telling the truth is stupid they wouldn't understand at all..
Liam smiled with a giggle as normally I'd be swearing and get so upset..
They said thank you and jumped down to the steps in front..

I find clubbing easier than before, it's something I used to 'love' because it was 'sooooo cool, borrowing someone's ID getting ready and 'hitting the town' ..

I accept I'm different, I accept I can't strut around with my legs out *i can but obviously my splint would show*
I accept I can't 'slut drop' or 'twerk'
But I'm older and I've been through something that no one would ever understand, why explain myself to random people.. just inform them that I'm slower on stairs
 because you know..
"I've broken my leg"

I'm not ashamed I'm a living proof of gaining confidence after a major stroke.
After all, no one is perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment