Tuesday 18 July 2017

Walking life..

I'm pretty sure babies don't get excited when they learn to walk, they don't keep a diary (I think my mum did..) it's an odd task to learn,

You think of walking as an easy action/movement

Three years after learning I'm still learning..

Along with my side affects from the stroke; fatigue balance coordination and concentration..
Believe it or not walking needs independence and confidence
Especially after a stroke.

You get scared to walk in public incase you get judged on how someone taught you to bend straighten and place your foot..

A foot of mine that still bends in, still has drop foot which from my first blog post I explained was quite slow to recover
I wear an Afo still, one that I probably should get replaced but just like the dirty Nike trainers I learnt to walk in (now in a bin somewhere) I get scared to replace it.. even if it would look nicer (appearance wise)

I'm so fortunate to of been taught in a rehabilitation ward to learn to properly walk..
I say properly but in my eyes a better leg movement as it looks natural and doesn't swing unless I'm tired,

My knee hyperextends still but once you learn to walk that way I suppose learning again isn't on your agenda, I personally can't think of anything worse..

It's a long process and it takes time and energy, even now I question my walk 'gateway' I ask Liam if I walk normal 'do I look funny?' He replies with 'no your walking has improved'

It's got to the point where when we walk sometimes he'll stop and say 'look! We're walking at the same pace!'

*urgh he has to compliment me.*

I watch videos of stroke survivors that walk how I used to.. (I would upload a video but my phone won't let me)
You need 'apps 'for everything now!

It upsets me to this day, watching the encouragement to walk how I did, leg, swing, place and walk..

After all you're walking!!

You assume your Recovery is over.

It's just the start..


No comments:

Post a Comment