Friday 9 March 2018

Stroke affects the family more than the patient

I’ve spent the past two days wandering around Canterbury hospital interviewing; nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists and rehab assistants.
For my major project at university - at first (about me and my stroke)
Then I came home and it became to much, the realisation of
‘Lizzie maybe this is why people don’t talk to you about it’
So I started asking them
 “why did you choose this job and how do you think stroke affects the family as well as the person?”

When you lay in your bed, unaware of the world, in shock and angry as to why this has happened, you don’t stop to think ‘these people started for a reason and it’s affecting them to’

“We actually find the stroke affects the family than the patient because they have to come to terms with everything”

I froze.

Loads of flashes of; home visits, adaptations and the realisation of ‘shit this is real’


I left my old stroke ward and had this smell on my coat.. I can’t get the smell off my coat
as I left I stood by the stairs and had to take it all in.
and I keep feeling that the people coming to see me probably took a deep breath before entering and thought;
 “how will she be today..” as much as they loved me and cared.. some probably just wanted to turn away and go home.


“And how old is your youngest patient” -

“As far as I know, you are”


Me and my beautiful brain



No comments:

Post a Comment