Tuesday 4 November 2014

Oh my god, are you okay?! what happened?

Yep thanks for pointing out I look as disabled and vulnerable as I feel, so kind of you.

I've had this question so many times, but what shocks me is its mainly from nurses, I'm sorry but I find it ridiculous stroke clearly  isn't shown enough as awareness so people prevent it from happening. Trust me if you lived with my 'new brain' you'd instantly quit smoking and go on blood thinners. But i suppose i'm only saying this because I live with the side affects everyday.

Made me laugh yesterday when the nurse asked me 'Are you okay? did it hurt?' ... oh and guess what came next;
''but you're so young, thats rare isn't it!''  too be honest, yes it is but when you've had a stroke you seem to find a whole community of ''apparently too young'' stroke survivors and people who's lives flashed before their eyes.

When people actually ask me 'what happened' I literally just go ''oh I had a stroke :)'' Because I could be so much worse off than I seem to; look, be and act. It's exactly the same as when people sarcastically smile at you in the street, may as well have a sign over my head that states what happened. You wouldn't ask someone in a wheel chair why their in one, would you? So why does having a slight limp and me holding my arm change the reason to ask openly and rudely ''whats happened'' And yes I would be ''okay'' if you stopped asking.

I watched the housewives or orange county the other day with my mum, and my god if they had a stroke, how would they cope? Honestly, it's like Kim Kardashian. It's all; money, shoes, partying and being famous.
The other day I got so frustrated that Patrick hasn't been on Eastenders in so long, Just because it's such a good way of raising awareness and actually weirdly makes me not feel alone in this strange world i'm living in.


No comments:

Post a Comment