Monday 2 February 2015

Hopefully I can have my cup of tea now..

I bumped into the physiotherapist that taught me how to walk today.. 
And visited the stroke ward to say hi to the nurses who saved my life.
I waited aimlessly on a red chair in the gym I learnt to stand in.. 
The dusty apparatus and plinths with pillows ready for the next patient to lay on and work hard to bring back their strength dignity and life.. 
I watched an old man take his first steps in the same place I took mine, he turned to me and winked.. 
'That's how you do it love' 
I giggled and remembered how amazing it feels when you do actually do it.. 
I looked at him and smiled a huge grin silently replying
'Go on, you can do it, hold your head high and smile'

He smiled again.. 
'I need to sit down' he stumbled back to his wheelchair...

I remember the pain and tiredness you get from your first steps, you're so used to being in a bed relaxing, sleeping all day everyday just looking around you aimlessly..

As the physio left him he tried to stand up..
I shook my head and he laughed..
It's like a toddler, if you laugh they think your encouraging them to try it again .. So I just ignored it.. 
The physio returned (thank god)
'right Albert were gonna attempt stairs next'..
He looked terrified, scared, hopeless and distraught. That's when I felt the tear roll down my cheek.. I wiped my eye and smiled at him. 
You need people to cheer you on, that's how the determination to carry on starts 

He was gripping the physio's arm.. 
'This is your chance to shine give it your all'
He gave me the cutest smile and carried on, challenging himself to complete the flight of 4 wooden steps.. 

After half an hour he was wheeled back to the ward.. 
'Hopefully now I'll get a cup of tea' 
I laughed.. 

Watching someone so vulnerable not only because of what's happened to them but the age they are; physically and now mentally.. Imaging living atleast 65 years so independent and confident then one day your life is.. 
Gone

He's a fighter and Albert will be walking the streets in no time.. 


No comments:

Post a Comment