Tuesday 29 August 2017

'Volunteering; 9-1'...

First days are always scary, I mean what's a first day without nerves?..
I know it's not my brain injury kicking in, this is 'normal' which made me feel like some part of today was going to go really well..

I always arrive really early, in this case earlier than when the doors were actually open, which was quite embarrassing..the wall was freezing cold and about 5 ladies asked if I was okay, I must look insane. I was starting a new journey in my recovery, one that was going to get my future going, 'yay work' I used to work in Fenwicks and HATE it, the bitchiness was too much.. I always arrive early


Today I started a new 'adventure' which was volunteering at Pilgrims Hospice in Canterbury, a position that my wonderful stepdad- mikes friend (Paul Barrett) helped me 'get' so thankyou Paul :) 

I haven't worked since my stroke, I mean university is probably the closest..

"I'm sorry I'm really bad with memory"
I was inducted on everything from; replacing patients water and even checking that they had everything they wanted for that time of the morning '9am'..
The hospice know all about my disability and things I struggle with, obviously I had to tell them.. this made me feel so comfortable, walking around feeling independent and confident to just enjoy 'working' again..

Fatigue;
I was exhausted! When I say exhausted it was just like after my stroke, all I wanted to do was crawl into my bed and sleep.. 

"Stop being so polite, you're not at school"
I kept asking to go to the toilet and letting them know if I was 'getting a drink', I hate not 'informing people' when I'm doing something.. I was told to stop being so polite and just do whatever I wanted as it's voluntary work.. 


I told a regular reader I'd update him on my 'coffee making' skills.. but unfortunately Jim I didn't experience making coffee, therefore this is still 'to come' in my recovery :) *watch this space*

My first day was followed by news that my kidneys are finally 'behaving' again and that I'm currently reducing my medication, I have another shift on Friday which I'm certain will be posted in this blog so here's to the future! That seems bright :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment