Tuesday 22 August 2017

support for a disability

I still remember sitting at my mums dining room table talking to my neuropsychologist (2014) about my plans.. yes they actually call them plans?
*i have SO plans, but first let me learn to actually stand?!?*

My goal was to return to university which by the way I'm currently waiting to start my third year!!

"Lizzie, you'll never go back to university your brain is to affected"
This was my neuropsychologists actual words, she said I'd never receive any support and it would make me really ill..

One thing I'm SO glad I never did was listen to this fool..yes you are an idiot.

You should NEVER let anyone tell you what you can and can't do, regardless of if you're in recovery or not..

Yesterday I met with the 'support manager' at university who's in charge of our support. she's so lovely! Always listening *when she's free*
Last year I started 'releasing' my support whom would help me; cut things, write notes, hold bags and basically anything a 12 year old would need help with.. which made me feel so young and I complained as I felt like my disability was being made even more obvious..
I genuinely never really needed that support, I struggle with;
Understanding
Reading through lines
Spelling
Writing structure
Memory and independence to 'speak up'

Possibly dyslexia. But I refused to pay £300 to take a test.. this is on top of the £9000 a year to actually go to university.

Anyway;
We spoke about support and next year my only support will be a 'mentor' who just does everything I used to ask my mum to help with "mum can you check my essay?" And so on..

I need help reading briefs given to me, this is because I physically can't take it all in..
Everyone has this problem but obviously I'm more aware of it, my speech and language has stopped but she's always there to help. (I love the NHS)
You are my saviour & life..


So I'm only going to have help with essay writing as year three is the dissertation, yaaaaay.

This demonstrates my brain re-connecting' and expanding its pathways,

Oh and basically proving my neuropsychologist wrong.
(She is the same lady who printed a sheet of 'dealing with emotions' off of google..)
*cheap skate*



No comments:

Post a Comment