Saturday 19 August 2017

"I bet you rattle!"

I don't rattle and this is a short story about why I'm sick of hearing this strange quote, as tablets and medication actually dissolve when they hit your stomach?

Ooo yay a nice piece of thin green/off white a5 sheet listing different medications that we should thank whomever invented and created these magical 'beans' that sometimes dissolve as we aim to swallow them or in my case I'm lucky enough to have a NEW tablet (I can chew or suck it) and it tastes like orange!! *slight addiction*..

I take;
12 prednisolone tablets a day (kidney relapse)
Flucanozole (some fungus preventive)
Calcichew (orange chewy calcium tablet) yum yum..
As well as some stomach tablet once a week..

ALSO and yes I'm not stopping there..

My epilepsy tablet, muscle relaxant, blood thinner, chemotherapy and iron tablet..

These all change weekly as my blood (INR) changes if my blood decides to *behave or mis behave*
At this current point in time it's misbehaving, meaning the crease in my arm is bruised from blood tests

I think I wrote a blog post many months/years ago *sounds weird reflecting on medication*

But this is a daily task for me, my memory is still affected believe it or not, I do forget the routine of taking these tablets.. not enough to of caused another stroke (obviously) but sometimes enough to stress me out sooooo much!!

When I first had my stroke, in hospital you get those stupid paper tablet holders, you know the routine of the nurse in blue wheeling a wooden shelf that looks like something you'd see on a 1950's hospital program, waiting for the creaky lid to slide open, and her or him to measure out your tablets and that really horrible laxative drink thing..

When you leave you get that HUGE (in my case) bag with green pharmacy written all over it, containing about a months supply of medication *ooo yay* you get excited to take them whenever you can be bothered, not followed by a strict routine and time schedule by the hospital staff.

Anyway; my mum bought this plastic 'tablet planner' this 7day container that is now half lost and discoloured/ says 'mo, tu and so on because the really bad writing transfer has worn away.. *its THAT old!*

My mum still insists on me using this, it's probably because when I first 'escaped hospital' she'd sort all my medication out (brain injury/memory problems)..
I think she struggles to accept my confidence boom.. which is normal!


So my shelf and draws are like boots pharmacy, containing enough medication to last a life time!
Oh and..
Boots pharmacy see me walking towards the counter and start preparing my prescription, THAT is how old and ancient I am now..

Life of a stroke survivor on a lot of medication..

And NO I don't rattle, I simply take medication to save my life and help me continue my recovery from all these dreaded illnesses kindly given to me from someone who will never admit it's in their genes :) ps: many thanks, lots of love..

I am now going to arrange my medication..

No comments:

Post a Comment