Monday 26 January 2015

cleaning is my physio...

Don't rely on the physio you get when you leave hospital to help you;
walk, talk, be confident, be independent..
 basically everything you loose from your stroke..

It's all you; you do the hard work, you wont get confident by just doing nothing.
If you can do it once you can do it again, even if you struggle, even if it's hard and seems impossible..

nothing is impossible.

When i'm home alone (most days) I clean;
lift things from floor to floor, making sure everything's sorted so my mum wont need the stress when she comes home. ( only me as i'm the most stressful human to live with)..

I walk more, I use both hands to lift tubs of clean/dirty washing up and downstairs, I believe it's helping my motivational side of my brain come back.
I know i'm still lazy at times but honestly at the earlier stages of my recovery i'd get so angry when my OT and Physio asked me to clean my house, like i'd literally refuse to do anything mainly because my fatigue was so bad, I couldn't even walk to the toilet without nearly falling asleep.
I feel like the cleaning everyday has not only given me more strength in my leg and arm and helped me balance better, but given me better things to do than watching things like; Jeremy Kyle and crappy tv shows that no one likes..
I put my headphones in and just enter my own world where I can pretty much do anything.

If I feel really up to it, i'll go for a walk around the estate we live on/near
 (my step-dad laughs because we don't even live on the estate, it's just a load of roads near our house)

I do it on my own because it's helping me get my confidence back and giving me independence to do stuff on my own..
It's literally the hardest thing to do, and scary because of how vulnerable I am now..
but it's helping me with pretty much everything I do.

I was discharged from the Community physio's mainly because they couldn't help me anymore, nor did they think I would be walking/doing as much as I do now..
on my own.


If at first you don't succeed, try again.
Only you can make it happen/work.


No comments:

Post a Comment