Monday 18 September 2017

I feel so bad..

"I can't remember their name"

I always just say 'Umm' to people if I can't remember their names..

This is where my brain injury kicks in;

The name game
Everyone I ask tries to make me feel better by comparing it to 'oo I get that too! It's normal.'..
For me it's an everyday occurrence, it could be someone I've met hundreds of times before, the day before OR someone who's really upset me in the past, people you'd just know! *oh hi, I know you.. you were really horrible to me once*

I remember saying hi to someone that I'd forgotten had actually bullied me at school and having to be told that we'd never actually seen 'eye to eye' ..

'Um I'm so sorry'
I just smile and politely and ask their name.. I'm referring to Pilgrims Hospice, where it's worse because you have to spend 4/5 hours straight with a person who's name you've forgotten.. they understand, they try to make it feel 'alright' but I know that it's a side affect from my stroke, it's the brain injury making a sly appearance..


Brain Injury
My memory is still affected, meaning I forget things constantly!..
(I always blog about this..)

The Unknown
I know the faces just not the names, why? I honestly have NO idea.. and this time google can't help me (damn)..


Picture Memory
I call it my picture memory, a place in my brain that stores all your lovely faces and our memories together, remembering things that are important and should be remembered,
I use this as an abbreviation when explaining that I've forgotten someone's name "sorry, I have a picture memory" (I think do this weird finger swirl action onto my skull/head) as if to refer to myself as 'crazy'..



Faces
When I see people in the street that I've seen before, I KNOW NOW! It could be from a conversation years ago or days before but a memory of something happening with the person I've seen will come flooding back into my mind..
which freaks me out, I then start thinking about the person non stop *GET OUT MY HEAD NOWWWW!* took long enough to enter it..



So that's my name game with a brain injury..

Don't say;
'you get that too, you just call it old age'..

Because one day, I will remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment