Monday 25 September 2017

Meet the arm..

The arm that gets more comments than you'd imagine..

"I think it'll come back" - please don't..
"Do you get physio?" - no I don't so please stop questioning me
"So what can you do with it?" - here why don't you have a feel? Then you can judge me even more..
"What happened to your hand?" - oh here we go..


The position
The position is bent in an upright position, it doesn't relax unless I forcefully pull it, it's called 'spasticity '
I don't see why you should feel the need to stare? It's just resting, it's having a little rest.. a rest from your; stares, questions and criticisms of how I choose to recover..

Recovery
Recovery of an arm or hand is longer than any other part of the body, especially after a stroke, think of how complex your hand is; fingers, wrist, movement..

What can I do?
I can stretch it, I can straighten it, open my hand when it's bent, stretch my fingers when relaxed and lift my arm above my head..
More than I could do..


 spasticity
Spasticity - a condition where the muscles are contracted together, causing stiffness or tightness
*another 'condition'... *


The flick
It's called an abscent seizure, it flicks out voluntarily, it does look funny I know but ignore it, if I could stop it I really would..


Paralysis
It's so difficult, at a young age you struggle with people acting like its not allowed, why can't I have a disability?..
"Just move, move come on.. for me, you worked for 20 years"
'No? Okay, cool'

Why?
Why do you stare at it? Why should my arm effect you? It's the same as yours it just doesn't move 'properly'.. is it not 'normal' for you?'..

Confidence
It looks odd I know, I'm used to it, I'm used to you questioning me, my confidence gets knocked when you judge me, my brain gets emotionally upset (causes the seizures) do you want that? Do you want the stress of helping me after a seizure? ..

Numb
Just like my feelings after your stares, I can't feel it.. it's numb, my whole left side is numb.. no it's not 'cool'.. it hurts knowing that if I fall I could of broken it and wouldn't actually know.


Don't
"I think it will come back you know, give it time.."
"So, do you get physio?"

Leave me and my hand and arm alone..
Ok?


No comments:

Post a Comment