Friday 1 September 2017

Living with Essential Thrombocythemia

I have this little yellow book that states I'm an anticoagulant patient, it states my name, age address and illnesses including a 'range' that my blood should be..

I'm so grateful for being diagnosed with this 'illness' as it's saved my life;
I take 500mg of chemotherapy everyday along with Iron tablets that stop me 'feeling dizzy' something I'd experience ALL the time growing up..

What is it?

Essential Thrombocytosis is a rare blood cancer characterised by the overproduction of platelets by megakaryocytic in the bone marrow.

Here is a cool diagram that my tutors would 100% expect me to of 'created myself'..

The majority if not ALL my 'illnesses' are mainly for older people.. 
I produce too many platelets in my blood.. something ridiculous like 1000 and it's meant to be between 200-400?..
(basically my blood clots quicker than it should

I've had about 13 tubes of blood taken this week out of my poor right arm that must HATE me...
I bruise worse than anyone else, my cuts take longer to heal meaning I currently look like a heroin addict.. 

Monday - Blood 11.5 

Tuesday Blood 2.5

My new home - Canterbury Hospital Thrombosis centre (I am currently a regular & one of the youngest patients) 

bruised from more blood 

and again, blood - 1.5!! (thats good)

My blood is ridiculously thick, like I said; the blood clot travelled from my right calf through my neck to my brain and then.. BAM 


Living with essential Thrombocythemia is a struggle day in day out, just like any other illness it's the risks you have to take.. 
I have to be extremely careful when bumping into things as I'll be bruised for weeks if not months

I probably shouldn't drink any alcohol but YOLO :)
My immune system has to be monitored, meaning if you have any signs of a cold/infection bla bla.. DON'T come near me!
I get soooo tired! like obviously 'stroke fatigue' is horrendous but where my blood is struggling I'm literally always wanting my bed (this is why I get so offended by people who complain if I'm tired
My legs ache so much, I get really restless from standing around and just need to fidget! 
I get 'blotchy' my skin goes some weird redish colour (especially in winter)
shaving is difficult incase I get infections so let the leg hair off..

My left leg is probably lacking blood flow but this is a picture of my illness side affect..

I live with this everyday & I am always at high risk of more strokes but it's something that I am so happy to of been 'discovered' as without the diagnosis I wouldn't be sitting here today writing this :)...

So heres to the new blood thinner I've been put on and thank you to every pathologist who has struggled to find my veins.. 











No comments:

Post a Comment